Yup, not a great workout week at all. I just didn’t have it in me this week and add to that everyone has either a cough or cold or both – including the 19month old who was SO stuffy one night she just kept waking up EVERY.HOUR…no exaggeration!
Last Sunday, I spent almost 2 hours at the gym (well, including walking to and from the gym). I mean, I killed it! I did my Week 3 workout for Couch to 5k. I did some weight training and did some time on the bike. 2 hours…That’s long for me because I usually try to sneak in my gym time in the mornings before I have to bring big girl to school. What does this mean? This means that even though my alarm goes off at 5:30am (yes, I even made it earlier this week), I keep going back to sleep and then eventually wake up around 6/6:15…proceed to make coffee, walk the pup, drink coffee, walk the pup again and then head out. By the time all is said and done, I have about 30 minutes to get to the gym, workout and head back (sorry for being repetitive, I’m sure I’ve said all this before).
And I’m wondering why I’m not where I thought I would be after 2 months of going to the gym.
So, I need to make myself accountable. I need to:
- Start getting up earlier. I’m not a morning person. I don’t know how some of you get up before the crack of dawn to get to the gym or boot camp. Does it help that things like boot camp or early morning yoga classes are a group setting? I’m just going to our local “basics” gym where there is cardio equipment and weights, but no classes and such. I need to just start sleeping earlier too.
- Make sure I have enough time to stretch before and after because I tend to switch to the bike or skip a day b/c I’m feeling sore still.
- Set a new goal. I know I’m on the Couch to 5K plan that says don’t push it or move too quickly through the steps/weeks, but maybe I can put forth a goal of “moving” at least 30 miles a month. I’d prefer that to be all in the running category, but I think I’ll have to mix it up with the Elliptical and the Bike….at least until I finish the Couch to 5k program.
- Sign up for a 5k. You may think I’m crazy, but I’m following this Couch to 5K program and I haven’t even signed up for one! I know there’s one around here on 5/12. I’m thinking about it, but that’s in 2 weeks and I’m only starting Week 4 (out of 9) today.
- Set a weightloss goal. I told myself I wouldn’t do it this time. Usually, I start my workout waves by saying things like I need to lose 30lbs and will lose it in 3 months (or something crazy like that…possible, yes, but hasn’t been for me). What happens is that I burn myself out within the 1st 2…between the change in diet and exercise…However, I think I should. 30lbs in 3 months sounds a bit crazy though…especially since I haven’t even lost 10 in 2. So, maybe 20lbs in 5 months? I don’t know, I’ll have to think about this some more.
So there…Now I just need to wrap my head around it all and commit. Here’s to hoping that May will definitely be better than April in terms of working out…