5k Mission: Accomplished

Well, hot damn!  I done did it!!!  I survived the 5k and did better than I expected!

I woke up Saturday morning still unsure of myself…of my legs.  As of the night before, and even that morning while picking up my runner’s bib and registering myself and Beans (she would do the kid’s 1/4 mile race), I was about to switch from 5k runner status to 1 mile walker.  Then, I started to think about how disappointed I would be in myself…How could I not at least try?  What’s the worst that could happen?  They walkie the golf cart guy over to pick me up if I can’t go anymore?  At least I tried, right?    I mean, I wouldn’t be the only disappointed in myself…How about pDaddy and the girls?  They even made a sign Friday night to cheer me/Beans on.  So, off I went and just picked up my bib and stayed as 5k Runner.  Took some Tylenol, did LOTS of stretching and put on that Icy Hot Beans and I picked up at the grocery as we also picked up our breakfast.

Still freaking out, but determined to do it, I managed to keep myself calm and collected.  pDaddy, Razz and Shrimp got there a few minutes before Beans’ race.  Big Girl did well, but then stopped too quickly and couldn’t catch her breath…she started to panic and kept saying she waned to throw up.  I got her to calm down and tried to get her to walk it off before my run started.  She finally caught her breath, but still felt queasy.  I felt bad leaving her, but I had to get to the starting line.  pDaddy took over as nurse to Beans and watching over all 3.  I couldn’t stop thinking of Beans and how she felt.  I kept hoping she just got better and hoping that I wouldn’t feel that way at the end of my race…I didn’t want to discourage her anymore.

So, off to the starting line and off I went.  I didn’t know if I wanted to walk a bit first or not, but just hit START on my new Garmin (thanks to an early Mother’s Day gift from pDaddy).  I didn’t realize it had to locate satellites again so it took a couple of minutes before it kicked in and I was already “running”.  I didn’t realize I just kept going.  I felt like Forrest Gump and just kept going and going and going and next thing I heard was the time keeper at mile marker 1.  I clocked in at 1 mile at 11 minutes exactly, according to the timekeeper girl.  11 minutes!  WHAT?  WHO?  ME?  WHAT?

It was definitely a lot easier to run in a group and I kept pace with a few of the runners, whether they knew it or not.   Next thing you know, I was nearing the end of the 1st lap and saw pDaddy and the girls holding up the sign they made.  I took off the headset from my right ear as I neared them and heard the girls yelling “GOOOOOOOOOOOO MOOOMMMYYY!  GO!  GO MOMMY GO!”  What an INCREDIBLE feeling that was…seeing your family cheer you on and looking so proud of you.  I smiled a HUGE smile and waved to them and then kept on trucking…

I had to stop about 3 or 4 times after that…Once for about 3 minutes and the others for about a minute or so.  The 3 minute stop, I just had to really catch my breath (I really need to learn some breathing techniques)…but then I started to feel my shins getting tight / sore.  I also felt the heat from that Icy Hot kick in (never really felt the “icy” at all).  I didn’t want to get all tight and walk the rest of the way so I kept pushing and pushing and even said it out loud “PUUUUUSH”.   I didn’t realize that I was actually “pushing” through hills…I expected myself to walk them, but I actually didn’t!  Ok, maybe a few of them, I walked a few steps…and when I say “hill”, nothing major, but definite change in elevation.  The last tenth or quarter of a mile I saw the end in sight going around the bend.  I was ready to walk, but I pushed it again.  And again, I saw pDaddy and the girls cheering me on, holding up the sign and pDaddy w/the camera.  They were a few feet from the finish line, but they were close enough to see me cross it.

As I was about to cross, I looked up dumbfounded. My snazzy new watch was telling me that I had a great pace (for me), but I thought it was “off” (I don’t know, don’t ask).  I crossed the finish line to see 35:40.



I’m still trying to process it…Remember, I just wanted to finish in less than 45!!!  I remember I couldn’t “jog” for 30 seconds without feeling like passing out when I got on a treadmill in February.


I can’t sum up in words of how happy and proud I was of myself…That’s such a RARE feeling that I was speechless.  I was also so happy that my family was there to cheer me on.  I was so happy when I saw pDaddy close to the finish line looking so proud of me.  This whole week, I gave off the vibe that I was giving up b/c of my shins and he had to hear me complain all week long.  I’m sure he was thrilled that I would be done being nervous nellie (but he’ll still hear me complain about sore legs), but really, I saw him happy for me and proud and that’s another feeling I wish I could bottle up!  Seeing him helped me stop myself from walking the finish…

I still can’t believe I did it and with a better time than I expected.  I can’t believe my shins cooperated.  I can’t believe how good it feels to cross that finish line.  I can’t believe how much seeing your loved ones can really encourage you and keep you going…

All that and it was just the mid-point of a wonderful Mother’s Day Weekend.

Thanks to my cheerleaders…no pic of my main man though 😦  Sorry pDaddy 😦

1 5k Down…bring on some more!

PS – That Icy Hot can get SUPER HOT!  After eating, we went home…I did more stretching and hit the shower.  I thought I washed it all off, but apparently not…my legs were burning!  I wanted to nap, but was so uncomfy…felt like a super sunburn on my legs.  I must have come down from my adrenalin rush b/c somehow, I, eventually, slept through it.  I don’t know how long it took for it to wear off, but it was gone by the time I woke up.  phew…

PPS – Official race results = 35:43.3… I’ll still take it!

5 thoughts on “5k Mission: Accomplished

  1. Pingback: WW: Mother’s Day Edition | BZMomma's Ramblings

  2. Pingback: Elusive W5D3 – Couch to 5k | BZMomma's Ramblings

  3. Pingback: 5 months later… | BZMomma's Ramblings

Your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s